Tuesday 12 September 2017

Interview with founder of ReBasadi - Tebatso Molapo

- Nubian Samurai - 
Interview with founder of ReBasadi, Tebatso Molapo





It was in October 2015 when 21 year old Tebatso Molapo felt slightly uninspired during her stay in Grahamstown. Growing up in a small town in Limpopo and abruptly moving to Eastern Cape had no positive change in her desire for success. “I started developing social anxiety and so I thought to break from this anxiety by persuing photography where I asked a few girls on campus to be my muse. Exciting times. I the  called up a good friend of mine and asked him to give me some tips on how to start a photography business.” Due of the lack of exposure to a wider social view, Tebatso realised that most young men her age were involve in business and found that most young women her age and older had no experience or exposure in business and had to push their way through to make something of themselves. One day she went onto Facebook and posted an invitation to young women who would be interested in engaging in an open dialogue about their lives as a means to inspire and motivate one another. The response was immediate. Over 60 younge ladies RSVP’d their attendance. Shortly after that, offers started pouring in. “The owner of Capello in my hometown offered to let me use his venue to host my first event.” Although, as the day drew closer, less people declined the event and only 25 out of 60 who responded attended. Nevertheless, they made the most of it through discussions about social realities affecting young women in business and how they could further improve these ills. “Two days later I created a Facebook page because I realised that okay…this thing is bigger than me. A lot of women became interested and I had no plan for it. It was just a call for togetherness among women.”
We met up with the lovely ReBasadi ambassador and found out a bit more about her journey, her aspirations and her future projects.





1. Tell us about Tebatso Molapo. Where is she from and what brings her to Johannesburg? 
Tebatso Molapo is a 21 year old social entrepreneur with a strong passion for young women in business. I moved to Joburg from Grahamstown in 2015 after feeling the need to be closer to home and closer to my business. My moving to Joburg was more of a business decision then an academic decision.
2. What was your first encounter with money and business? 
I worked at a restaurant for a day when I was 15 and at the end of my shift, I had earned R7, for me, I felt very exploited because the long hours did not correspond with the money I took home. It was then that I decided to host a nail party in which I made R300. I realised that working for yourself was way better than being employed. As the years progressed, I was engaged in a few projects that were run by me and my friends.
3. How did that or those experiences influence you to become an entrepreneur? 
Working long hours with a very small pay pushed me into entrepreneurship.  For me, I feel what I put in is what I should get out. Although business is a whole other strain, I know that the short term effort will reap long term benefits 
4. You are the founder of Re Basadi, which is a networking platform for women in business. How did this idea come to exist? 
The Re Basadi idea was birthed after I noticed a gap in female entrepreneurship in my hometown. I wholeheartedly believe in the financial freedom of young women and my starting of this initiative was to create a platform for us to come up with innovative ways to start our own businesses and support each other where we can.
5. What is the most frightening thing about starting a business?
The most frightening thing about starting a business is that you never really know how people will respond to your idea so your feel your way to success and the fear of failing is one that always cripples you as an entrepreneur because it’s not easy waking up every day and reminding yourself that you have to make this work or you’ll be miserable for quite a while. 






6. Can anyone become an entrepreneur or do you think it’s something you are called to do? 
Anyone can become an entrepreneur, it’s an acquired skill and with the right mentors, you can learn so much. 
7. What are the importance of being a brand ambassador? 
Being a brand ambassador, especially a brand ambassador for you brand means that you’re constantly selling yourself even in your personal space and conducting yourself in ways that will benefit your business. Always. 
8. What sets you apart from all the other platforms for young women that are out there? 
Re Basadi not only focuses on the business side of empowering women, we want to creature platforms for women to get together and talk about real issues that affect them
9. How far do you see this initiative going?
International. Watch the space.
10. You seem to have a strong support system and a dedicated team behind this project. How important is it to have both when starting a business? 
I think one thing we’re never told when starting businesses is that it becomes emotionally draining and sometimes you want to give it all up but with the right support structure and team, you’re able to get your act together and keep moving. 
11. What was the response like since launching the brand in Johannesburg? 
Hosting in Joburg has been absolutely amazing. Since our event, I’ve seen quite a number of the ladies who came through to event connect. Personally, I still have a lot to achieve in terms of growing the platform and perfecting it and I’m looking forward to doing that. 
12. Any success stories that have stuck with you? 
My mother’s success story is one that will always stick with me. It resonates strength and hard work. 
13. You also seem to have a knack for art. What inspires your general style? 
Simplicity and my constant desire for individuality. 
14. When you’re not busy running your brand what is it that you do during your downtime?
I’m stressing about the brand, school or reading. 
15. What do you like about being a young woman? 
I still have a platform to make mistakes and there’s nothing more magical than being a woman. Women are golden, I wish we could all embrace our shine. 





16. What’s your message for all young aspiring creativs out there? 
Always be yourself. 
17. Who inspires you and why? 
I’m inspired by every Black women doing there thing. I’m here for that. All of it.
18. How important are collaborations among creatives? 
When we collaborate, we learn from each other and when we do that, we discover new things and new possibilities 
19. Any events people should be looking out for? 
Re Basadi will be releasing an event’s calendar on all our social media platforms soon. For June, people can look out for our Re Basadi Market which is a market with Female exhibitors 
20. What does revolution mean to you? 
Constantly changing to yourself and everyone around you be be better versions of themselves. 
Revolution Validates Life #RVLMedia

No comments:

Post a Comment