Friday 20 May 2016

Emitting Energies with Emamkay - Friday Feature


We linked up with Soweto based, Hip Hop music sensation, Emamkay, to talk a bit more about his music and what he thinks about experimental music in SA. He recently dropped his third EP following Thetha and Deltha, which are currently popping on Sound Cloud - we'd like to think of him as our own young MusiqSoul Child with a jazz of Emamkay!

He's so mellow and cool with his words that you just... never mind. The boy is dope, you just have to listen for yourself! he brings in some Hip Hop, R&B and electronic waves.


RVL: Emamkay Ankhmind. That's quite an interesting name to go by. How did it originate   and what does it mean?

It evolved from King to Mastermind, to Mmk, and Emamk, then eventually EMAMKAY.

Ankhmind is just a social network handle. The name came about when I was around ten on a song called “King” - One of my first few recordings.

RVL: Who is Emamkay and what does he do?

A frequency manipulator freak that makes space jams.

RVL: When we first heard your music we had no idea that you were a local artist. You have a rare and authentic feel to your sound. Who inspires your creative buzz?

A lot of other music, really - relationships and sometimes colour.

Say for instance I notice a funky coloured shirt, I’ll have a beat playing in my head which sounds like the colour. It gets pretty weird.

RVL: Speaking of local, you're from Soweto, which is really awesome. Have you performed in Soweto and if so, how did the community receive you?

Funny enough I haven’t performed in Soweto yet. I attended many Hip Hop sessions around 2009 but I wasn’t ready to do shows.


RVL: How does it feel knowing that artists like you are scattered all over the township and are hidden gems waiting to be discovered? - do you think there's much recognition for alternative music within the black market or is it a case of putting oneself out there?

It’s so cool to meet other people who are pushing for the same vision. And no, there isn’t much recognition for experimental music in our country. I’ve learnt to be at peace with that. Good marketing helps, but it’s mostly effective in Europe

RVL: In your previous interview with Shimmy Records, we see how well versed you generally are with your music and it is amplified in your work ethic. Is music your birth right or was it something you fell into and happened to be good at lol?

Birthright…? I don’t think so. Neither of my parents are musicians. I just really like music, and after all those years of fiddling with keyboards, I sort of got the hang of it.

RVL: How long have you been creating music for?

I recorded my first record in studio, at 9. I’m currently 21, although I have quit music for about a week, and then got back on it.

RVL: Talk to us about your second EP that you recently released - ALPHA - What was the approach and intention behind the project and message?

ALPHA is part of a lifelong creative project. It’s the mind state you’re in during a day dream

RVL: Who designed the cover because it looks too dope?

Shinzo -  @lord_Shininzo. The album art is a spiritual and ritual symbol in Hinduism.
It represents the universe and tells a story – I’m not too sure what this one is specifically. I thought it was cool and asked him to hook it up.


RVL: How different is the current project to the former - THETA?

It has a lot more production value. I put more depth in these songs. I did this by adding more skits and making the songs shorter but more impactful.

RVL: What inspires the title of the projects - we see that there's a third one on the way titled DELTA and BETA.

It’s a human sleep process.

RVL: When does your producer hat come on? Where does that role come into play?
Describe yourself in 3 words.

Normally when I feel sad and stuff. I make pretty cool tracks when I’m moody.

RVL: Who's on your playlist right now?

KAYTRANADA! FLYING LOTUS! – As well as some of my songs.

RVL: Tell us a bit more about, the project you’re working on, Indoors. When is it coming out haha?

Unfortunately I can’t give the exact information on the Indoors project, as we’re still trying to get things together at moment. But we'll let you guys know in time.

RVL: And where can people see you perform?

We host NOKTVRNAL Sundaes every now and again. We switch locations around Jozi, but we’ll be sure to let you guys know what’s up.

Sound Cloud
Emamkay - Alpha Download
Emamkay - Thetha EP

© Revolution Validates Life 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment