Friday 29 April 2016

Musing with Meegan Mitchell - Friday Feature




Meet Meegan Mitchell, a 22 year old creative and freelance photographer from Cape Town. With a keen interest in art, jazz and photography, Meegan says that for as long she can remember she hadn't always been good with expressing herself through words. Her love for photography stems from her interest in human behaviour and how through her observations can she translate that into a still moment. She is currently doing her final year in Art & Design at the College of Cape Town and says her aim is to shine the light on social justice and reform the way people view art and photography.

"I'm still journeying and exploring the creative world and constantly learning and seeking new ways to inspire and share."

Within photography, she captures the emotional nuances of faces. It is through portraiture where she can art direct staged scenes to portray a powerful message and have those emotions reflect in each shot.

She recently started a brand called Bourgeois Brewed, which acts a s platform to curate collaborations as well as to showcase her photographic work by making use of her interests to steer her work. "This is where everything comes into harmony."

 
Here's more of what she had to say about her self...


RVL: Who is Meegan Mitchell?

I'm just a care-free brown girl from Cape Town that lives to create and document beautiful visuals.

RVL: When was the first time you picked up a camera? Was that the first time you fell in love with photography?
I don't think there has ever been THAT moment where I fell in love with photography. I've just always loved observing human behavior and wishing I could capture moments with the blink of an eye lol, weird I know.
 
I bought my first professional camera last year, I managed to save some of my coins.
 

RVL: What do you love most about photography?
 
The beauty of my subject telling me their story without having to say a word. There is so much power in story telling.
 

RVL: Who are some of your best local an international photographers?
 
Thom Pierce is a fave. I saw one of his exhibitions at the Slave Lodge here in Cape Town. His work was displayed in a dark room and we were each given a miners helmet and attached was a torch.
 
The aim of his exhibition was to shed light on the miners that suffered from silicosis and were paid little to no compensation. That's what I love, real issues with real people.

RVL: Talk to us about your brand, Bourgeois Brewed. What motivated you to start it?
 
I suppose I started Bourgeois Brewed as a platform for curating collaborations with like-minded creatives, sharing, inspiring, learning and reforming the way you view photography.
 
Also, so people can associate my work with a brand.
 
Ultimately, I plan to do way more than photographic work with Bourgeois Brewed, it's still very fresh.

RVL: How are you planning to change the face of the photography industry with your work and brand?
 
I'm really just here to share and show you that we have the same struggles, we don't have to fight these battles on our own. I'm also reminded of something Ms Lauryn Hill said; "fantasy is what people want but reality is what they
need."
 

RVL: How important is it for aspiring photographers to educate themselves about the history of photography?
 
The future often has a lot to do with the past so it's only right that you educate yourself and it also allows you to see how this art form has evolved over the years. This also allows you to switch things up and have a new school  style with a dash of the old, it gives you an edge.
 
RVL: How do you feel about the progression in the field of photography in SA considering how much we've translated into a more digital era?
I feel like photography isn't really seen as "work" and we don't get the necessary respect and credit that we deserve. This digital era is our 'window period' as photographers so we need to utilize it and make it count.

RVL: Do you like old school photography and if so, why?
 
I do, I think because most of the old school photography was captured in black and white. I like the classic minimalist tone and the history of the old school cameras are quite cool too.

 
RVL: What's a typical day for you when you go out taking awesome snapshots?
 
Most of my photographic work is spontaneous, I try not to plan or overthink concepts  and art direction. Sometimes I just get a model and shoot, then only after viewing the work I'll see hidden metaphors.
 
RVL: What projects have you done besides your own? Who have you collaborated or worked with?
Collaborating is always so much fun! It's such a party when creatives come together! I've worked with Thami from Sting (vintage clothing collector) on fashion shoots, designer Tulani Charlie that has an amazing cap range called INFO. I recently styled and shot a fashion shoot where we featured his striped visor from a previous collection. I've also worked with the lovely Landa Willie, I did some work for her really cool website she launched a few weeks ago.

RVL: What are the three things that a photographer should have in their kit before going out to shoot?
 
Extra battery pack, a reflector (or any substitutes like a blank page or a piece of board wrapped with foil) and an extra memory card.

RVL: We know that you're not only good at capturing moments, but you also have a lovely voice lol - Is music something you are looking to get into?
Lol...well I enjoy singing and I'd actually like share that side of my personality more because I'm very shy. I'm not the next Alex Isley but I can hold a note lol. I'm actually talking to a producer friend of mine and we're planning on doing something in the studio soon. Setting fire to your insides for fun lol!
 
RVL: You're a lover of jazz music and a good cup of tea lol What's on your playlist right now, and what is your current cup of tea in your music selection?

Right now, I'm listening to a lot of Nina Simone. I finished reading her biography and I've fallen in love with her all over again. So lots of Nina Simone and Miles Davis.

 
Photo Credit: Meegan Mitchell

Photo Credit: Meegan Mitchell

RVL: Where can people find you on social media?
 
Facebook: Bourgeois Brewed Photography
Instagram: @meegymaxx 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment